There are many reasons you may find yourself needing a tooth filling including decay, fractures, or cracked or broken teeth. At Smile Creations, our Austin dentists offer natural-looking composite fillings. Tooth-colored composite fillings have surpassed amalgam silver fillings as the standard of care in treating minor to moderate tooth decay. They can also last for many years and closely resemble teeth both in appearance and strength. Learn more about composite fillings, and why they may be the right choice for you.
How is a Composite Filling Placed?
- First, the area around the affected tooth is numbed to make sure you’re comfortable and no pain is experienced during the procedure. The decayed portion of the tooth is removed, along with any other affected portion of the tooth.
- The area around the tooth is then cleaned and prepped before the filling is placed.
- The filling is then placed in layers, and a special light is used to harden each layer.
- After the layers are placed, the filling is shaped and polished to restore the affected tooth to its original appearance. Shaping the tooth to it’s original size also ensures a comfortable bite.
- Finally, the tooth is polished, and a protective coating is placed to prevent staining and early wear.
How Long Does a Composite Filling Take?
Composite fillings can usually be placed in one appointment, and last around an hour depending on the situation and size of the filling or tooth break.
How Long Do Composite Fillings Last?
With proper care, a composite filling will last for at least five years.
What are the Advantages of Composite Fillings?
A More Natural Look: With many shades and colors to choose from, your filling will match the color of your original tooth. The composite can also be shaped to resemble the original tooth, making composite fillings and repairs ideal for front teeth.
Less Intrusive: Less drilling is needed with composite fillings when compared to traditional amalgam fillings.
Strength: Composite fillings are directly bonded to the tooth, and are heat-cured which increases the strength of the filling. In comparison, Amalgam fillings do not bond to the tooth.
At Smile Creations, our Austin dentists are dedicated to providing the highest quality care that modern dentistry has to offer and work with only the best materials, equipment, and laboratories. Schedule an appointment today!